Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bats

Been in our new home no time at all
when out of the dark something darted down the hall,
a fluttering of wings in the kitchen was heard
turned on the lights to see if it was a bird.

Hanging from the wall and ceiling too
were Bats!! ugly!! - dark, and away they flew!
With yellow pointed teeth
black squinty eyes
they were hanging from the walls -- "yeek" -
they were just horrid freaks!!

Too high they rested to reach them at all
odors and droppings were beginning to fall.
Distraught, angry and crying too
I didn't know what I was to do.
I called for an exterminator, only to be told,
tomorrow is a holiday, and he hung up on me cold.

Picked up the phone and called for help
then arrived on the scene a good friend and my mom -
my exterminator squad.
As quick as a flash,
with brooms in hand
they set to work swinging at that band.
Around and around the bats flew
almost laughing at my determined crew.

A light came on and the Bats took to rest
to the top of the walls flew these pests.
Quick as a flash a plan was hatched
a long pole was secured with a cup attached.
The cup in turn over each Bat was placed
and down the wall he was pulled
to an awaiting broom where he was dispatched.

A look of triumph on mom's face appeared
as the last of those creatures disappeared.
Eyes dried of tears,
a smile reappeared
as my house from bats was at last cleared.

1 comment:

Jennifer White said...

Yes - this is my life. I'm celebrating the people in my life today. Especially those who rescued me from a kitchen full of bats! Can I get a witness!