Monday, April 9, 2012

My Favorite Poem

I wrote a poem, in fact, I have written quite a number of them; but, of all that I have written, there is one that is my personal favorite.

It probably needs some explanation, as it is certainly the least in terms of length. But, it has much more depth than any of the others that I have written.

Many years ago, when my wife, Lydia died, I went through quite a period of what I guess some might call depression. It certainly was a very dark period in my life, one of searching, and longing, and not understanding at all.

I stayed awake at night for the longest period. Thoughts were confused and quite mixed. During this period I prayed a lot. One of the prayers that I asked was that St. Therese, the young Carmelite nun, of whom there is a statute in front of the Catholic cathedral in Alexandria, would send me a rose from the heavenly garden picked by Lydia. This is not an unusual request, in fact St. Therese is known for the fact that she wanted to spend eternity doing good on earth and let fall a shower of roses from heaven to others. And in fact, it is reported that persons who prayed to her have received either a flower petal or the scent of flowers in response.

It was my prayer that Lydia would be permitted to send me a flower from heaven as a token of her love and presence still in my life.

I even went so far as picturing a veil, with a faint shadow of a woman standing behind it [the veil of heaven] with a distinct arm coming out of the veil holding in a perfectly manicured, robed hand a rose from the garden of heaven.

I always wanted this picture painted.

I have never received this flower, but I am still patiently waiting. Someday, I will.

It is from this story of the heavenly flower that I wrote the poem, my favorite of all:

Far Away Friend

Fragrant flower
far away friend
Heaven's scent


Of all that I have written, this is the most meaningful.