Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Privacy Act

My dearest friend - who is now 85 years old - and who raised me from the time I was 3 years of age [I am 70 now] called this afternoon to tell me that she had not received her "stimulus check" from the government.

I called the IRS phone number on the letter she had received telling her that on June 13th she would receive her check, and was literally placed on "hold" for 35 minutes, by actual count.

When an IRS agent finally answered he asked if I had a "power of attorney" to discuss the matter. "No, I said" - "I don't want any information, just to ask that you look up her account, and see if you can trace the payment - stop payment on it, and issue her another check" - don't tell me anything, just take care of her problem, I said. "I can transfer you to another number, but they are going to ask if you have a power of attorney". I said "look, all I want is for you to handle this ladies problem", "Good day, sir" he said, and hung up.

35 minutes I held the phone - and all I got was "Good Day".

I called my congressman's office and they are going to try and intercede.

There is something wrong - when a government employee hides behind the Privacy Act, and doesn't even make an effort to seek out the problem, much less to attempt to solve it

40 years ago I was told - "remember this, in life its' all a matter of whose ox is gored"

It certainly wasn't the IRS agent's.

He got his check.

No comments: