Saturday, June 4, 2011

Memories

Life is full of memories /
of times past / and present /
times from my childhood /
of running in the rain / crying /
because the raindrops were hitting me on the head /
and my mother calling to me /
I'm here / don't cry / it's all right.
Children chasing butterflies / and playing
ball in the neighbor's field.
Watching the sunrise / and the stars telling
me to have a good day / just before they went
away.
Walking down a path at a summer camp / fishing in
a favorite spot / and catching a bass that I'm still
talking about.
Building a raft with a best friend / cutting trees and
logs / and floating them in a warm summer breeze.
Walking in the moonlight with a first girl friend / and experiencing
our first warm kiss.
Holding hands and dreaming dreams / and walking barefoot down a dusty
road / kicking up dust / and feeling it sifting through bare toes.
Seeing a first born child / holding it tight in my arms /
looking into its eyes / and seeing it smile back.
Hearing a child ask / 'what are moonbeams, and where do they go?'/
Holding a child as it goes to sleep in my arms /
knowing that the world is all right / because daddy is near /
and there is nothing to fear.
Memories are mine / and wonderful to share /
as time races on / and grandchildren gather in my arms /
Watching them chase butterflies / and ask about moonbeams /
and rainbows / and catch a first fish / and tell me /.....
......I love you big daddy.

No comments: